Spanish Tapas Peppers
adapted from Make It Ahead
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 5 large bell peppers (red or yellow) OR use mini peppers (about 20, sliced in half)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 3/4 cup chopped green pitted olives
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced (or 1 can rotel diced tomatoes)
- 1 scant tsp saffron threads, crumbled
- 2/3 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup olives oil
- minced fresh flat leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the sherry and raisins in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
Meanwhile, cut each pepper in half through the core and remove the ribs and seeds. Cut each half lengthwise into 3 wedges and arrange them cut side up in a single layer in two large shallow oven to table baking dishes. Sprinkle with about 1 tsp salt and pepper. If using mini peppers, just cut them in half and remove the seeds and ribs.
In a medium bowl, combine the steeped raisins, garlic, olives, tomato, saffron, braed crumbs, olive oil, and about another tsp salt and pepper. Spread about a tbsp of the mixture on each pepper wedge. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the filling is a little crisp on top. Smaller peppers will likely take only 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.
Make It Ahead: Prepare the peppers with the filing, cover, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bake before serving.