adapted from Saveur
- 1 bag (about 1 lb.) frozen french fries of your choice
- 2 cups Beecher’s cheese curds
- diced green onions, for garnish/topping
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven according to the directions on the bag of your chosen french fries. Spread fries evenly on rimmed baking sheet.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add shallot and garlic, and cook, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add stock, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper, and bring to a boil; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and keep gravy warm.
3. Bake french fries in oven until done to desired crispiness. Dice some green onions. Get those cheese curds ready!
4. Divide fries among serving bowls. Pour gravy over each serving of fries, and top with cheese curds and green onions; serve immediately.