By normal Crispy Treat standards, we don’t have anything too crazy going on here. Just your standard Crispy Treat recipe, but add in some fruit loops. I mean, there are so many more unique Crispy Treat recipes out there, why care about this one…? I care for some very personal reasons which I’ll get into, but here are your more basic reasons:1.) Super Easy.
2.) Super Tasty! It’s a great change from the chocolatey crispy recipes that are popular.
3.) Super pretty, colorful, and fun! Totally great for kids.Now I can get into my personal reasons for loving these specific treats…Back when I was first out of college and had a very not-fun job, I would have to run and get food for clients pretty much everyday. Yes, it sounds more like an internship, but nope – it was part of my job. I usually didn’t mind having to run out and get stuff, because it meant some solo time away from the office.One of my favorite places to go to was Oddfellows, an awesome cafe/bar/bakery in Seattle. The best part about this place was the treat case! Everyday there would be different breakfast pastries, cookies, and other sweets. Their Fruity Crispies always stood out to me. I had never seen Crispies made with fruit loops before and I always wanted one (and pretty much everything else) whenever I went in to pick up large orders. I always vowed I would make my own one day since I knew they would be easy. It’s funny that this is such a vivid memory for me, when they had way more innovative and complex baked goods available. I think it goes to show that sometimes basic and classic are always best. Oh, and anything with the colors of the rainbow.I’m pretty sure Oddfellows no longer has these Crispies – I have read they have gone through a couple of different bakers over the years, and apparently they had great donuts available for awhile, something that was never in the treat case when I made my visits back in the day.I may no longer have that awful job or a reason to go to Oddfellows now that I moved from Seattle to Portland…but I’ll always have these Fruity Crispy Treats.
Fruity Crispy Treats
Inspired by Oddfellows Cafe in Seattle
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 cups Crisp Rice Cereal (such as Rice Krispies)
- 2 cups Fruity Rings Cereal (such as Fruit Loops)
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Alternately add crisp rice cereal and fruit rings cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray or butter. Cool by placing in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Cut into squares and enjoy!
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS (this is the lazy method that I usually do):
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.