Oh Hey. Sooo I know Green Tomatoes are kind of a “Summer” thing…But here in the Northwest…I still have tons of Green Tomatoes on my plants. I did get some ripe ones out of my summer…but some didn’t quite mature. But that’s okay…Because!!!Fun times with Green Tomatoes! A recipe that is a bit healthier than Fried Green Tomatoes…These Grilled Green Tomatoes made into a Caprese Salad!I like this recipe because it is waaay easier than Fried Green Tomatoes. Just marinade them in a little saucy sauce, throw em on the grill…and add mozzarella and basil! We took the extra step to melt the mozz under the broiler, but this recipe is great with fresh cold mozzarella as well!
Grilled Green Tomato Caprese
serves 8 as an appetizer or side
adapted from Southern Living
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (we used regular, it was still delish)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 lb.)
- 1 (16-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl or baking dish, stir. Add tomatoes and cover, letting chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove tomatoes from marinade, reserving marinade. Grill tomatoes, covered with grill lid, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until tender and grill marks appear.
- Arrange alternating slices of warm grilled tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on a large, shallow platter. We put our dish under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese a little bit, it’s great both ways! Drizzle with reserved marinade; season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with basil.