Who doesn’t love Cherry and Chocolate together? They are made for each other. Although…chocolate is made for a lot of things…chocolate orange, almond chocolate…wait. Don’t even get me started. Back to these Cherry Chocolate Cookies.
Although Cherry and Chocolate are good together at any time, these cookies make me think of Christmas, just a little bit…First of all, they are a wonderful pink/red color, and they look great sitting next to Grinch Cookies. Oh god, there’s another great chocolate combo…mint chocolate chip!
If you haven’t figured it out already, I’m a little distracted today, going off on random tangents everywhere. Moving on…The original recipe calls for Hershey Kisses to be placed in the middle, but I can’t handle that…I absolutely hate thumbprint cookies because you don’t get chocolate in every bite. I am all about even distribution. Mixing in your choice of chocolate chips brings the cherry-chocolate combo to its peak. Go for it!
Cherry Chocolate Cookies
Servings: approximately 36 cookies
Adapted from The Curvy Carrot
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, but still cool
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 cup dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
3. Reduce the speed to the lowest setting and slowly add the powdered sugar and salt.
4. Add the cherry juice and the almond extract until combined.
5. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Increase the mixer speed to medium and add the cherries.
7. Fold in chocolate chips.
8. Bake the cookies until the bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes.
9. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.