This is probably one of the least healthy salads ever. But it’s definitely one of the best tasting salads out there. Probably because there is bacon, and lots of it. My mom has wowed guest after guest with this salad, and for a good reason.
Hot Honey Mustard Spinach Salad with Bacon
serves 4 – 6
For the dressing:
- 5 slices of bacon (or more, depending on your love for bacon)
- 3 Tbl rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbl vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbl prepared mustard (whatever you like, honey mustard, sweet hot, pub mustard, they are all good)
- 1 1/2 Tbl honey
- about 6 cups raw spinach
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- about 2 cups raw mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
Cut bacon into bite size pieces before cooking. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove cooked bacon from pan, set on a plate w/ paper towel to absorb the grease. Add the raw mushrooms to the bacon grease and cook on medium until mushrooms are tender. Remove mushrooms from pan. Add vinegar, another dash of vegetable oil (ONLY if the mushrooms absorbed all of the bacon grease). Add the mustard and honey. Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Remove from heat. It won’t seem like a lot of dressing, but it’s gonna coat the salad beautifully.
Place mixed greens, parmesan, almonds, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add the cooked bacon and mushrooms. Pour warm dressing over greens and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.